Taxes 101 How Long Should I Keep Tax Records Of Business

Taxes 101: How Long Should I Keep Tax Records Of Business?

Suppose your company uses paper or hard copies of records. In that case, it could not be easy to locate a space for your business’s documents.

The reality, in the end, is that various business records, such as tax-related or other, need to be maintained for different lengths of time, based on the time frames of limitations. What is a limitation period?

A time limit is the amount of time in which you may amend your tax return to claim a credit or refund. During this period, the IRS can also determine additional taxes.

Tax and Law Research Inc. can assist you with the confusing tax law waters to ensure that your business is safe from the IRS.

How Do You Maintain Your Tax Records In The Event Of An Audit?

Tax records for businesses include annually filed tax returns and W-2 and 1099 forms, and correspondence from IRS. Taxes can be complex, so bear on your toes that returns filed before the due date will be considered to have been filed on the due date.

For business records, it is essential to keep:

  • Tax records of employment for four years commencing with the date of tax payment or the time when taxes became due.
  • Returns of income tax were filed in the past for a minimum of three years, but there are some exceptions (see the section below). This should be calculated beginning from the date the original return was submitted or two years from the date that your tax was paid if you filed a claim for refund or credit following the filing of your tax returns.


If you didn’t report income, that, under the law, should be reported. If your income was more than 25% of total earnings reported on your return, you must keep your income tax returns from the past for six years instead of three years.

Suppose you’ve applied to recover a loss from unreliable securities or a bad debt deduction and want to save the supporting documents for your business and documents over seven years. If you didn’t complete a tax return or submitted a false return, it is essential to preserve all tax records from the past for a long time.

Does The IRS Go Back Further Than Ten Years?

As per the American Bar Association, the IRS has ten years to the date that taxes were assessed to pay back unpaid debt. The ten years run out at the date of the Collection Statute Expiration Date (CSED).

However, the CSED may be able to renew, be temporarily suspended, or delayed, based on the circumstances. In addition, it is the case that the IRS determines its tax assessment deadline differently when compared to taxpayers. This could result in mistakes and surprises for taxpayers on their final.

To help with this, speaking with a tax expert will make dealing with IRS simpler and less complicated.

What Other Types Of Records For Business Need To Be Filed?

Documents for business include any form of document that is invoiced, invoiced, or receipt related to the operation of a company. This includes:

  • Accounting: bank statements, receivable ledgers, inventory, etc.
  • Human Resource: personnel and payroll records review of employees, etc.
  • Other miscellaneous corporate documents: insurance policies, warranties on equipment, etc.

Insurance companies, lenders, and other businesses have their time limits for the listed business records. Suppose you’re a high-income person freelancing or operating your own business both day and night. In that case, Tax and Law Research Inc. provides tax preparation services and others to safeguard your future.

Tax And Law Research Inc. Can Help You Organize Your Records And Keep Them Secure

We can assist you in making sure that your financial records and financial statements and more organized. However, there’s an advantage to working in conjunction with Tax and Law Research Inc.

Lost, Stolen, Or Destroyed Records

Documents and records could be lost or stolen, or damaged, both online or offline. Unfortunately, it is the case that the IRS can deny your claim when you do not provide evidence to support your claim. Suppose you can provide evidence of the incident, including photographs or police reports of the destruction. In that case, the IRS will grant you leniency.

Due to the risk of fire, theft as well as malware. It’s always a great idea to secure your business with an outside party to ensure your data is safe. A third party such as Tax and Law Research Inc.

Our tax professionals provide up-to-date knowledge and advice to your financial advantage. We help you save money in the end by making sure your taxes are tax-compliant with the government. There’s no need to worry about completing your taxes yourself, which could put the burden of tax compliance upon your back.

Contact us now to learn more about how you can keep track of your financial information.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *